Monthly Archives: April 2017

Non-judgmental Ethics Sunday: Should I Get a Pet From a No-Kill Shelter?

on April 30, 2017 in Ethicist, Nonjudgment

Continuing my series of responses to the New York Times’, The Ethicist, without imposing values, here is my take on today’s post, “Should I Get a Pet From a No-Kill Shelter?” I recently experienced the loss of a much-loved pet. I am looking into getting a new cat or cats. My dilemma is where: 1. A no-kill animal shelter; 2. A shelter that euthanizes animals if there are too many.[…] Keep reading →

999,316 meters!

on April 29, 2017 in Fitness, Habits

Yesterday’s rowing session on the rowing machine took me to 999,316 meters. My next rowing session will be my next cold shower day, May 4, unless it’s as beautiful a day as today and I feel like running outdoors, and I’ll hit 1,000,000 meters. One million meters is a nice milestone. It’s small compared to a competitive rower, but that’s the point. I’m not a serious rower. I’m 45. I[…] Keep reading →

Can I pick your brain? … Daniel Gefen’s wonderful, funny, penetrating interview of consistency and greatness you can achieve

on April 28, 2017 in Audio, Choosing/Decision-Making, Fitness, Freedom, Habits, SIDCHAs

I wish I could convey how much fun Daniel Gefen and I had talking before the podcast. I think it comes out in the conversation. Beyond being fun, Daniel went into depth nobody has about something I long wished someone would—the motivation behind the burpees and sidchas. Most interviewers ask about what I do, less about why or the effects. Daniel delved into consistency and how much it can create[…] Keep reading →

The value of technique: My student connects with a billionaire and gets invited to Harvard using skills from the course!

on April 27, 2017 in Education, Entrepreneurship, Relationships, Stories

I was delighted to read the email below from a former student. You can tell that English is not her native language, nor is America her native culture. Yet you’ll see she turned a standard business meeting assigned to her into a meaningful connection. That’s the value of technique: it works even when you wouldn’t know what to do. You can fall back on it. The more you practice and[…] Keep reading →

More of why I don’t think of vegetables, fruit, and exercise as preventing cancer, heart disease, and diabetes

on April 26, 2017 in Fitness,, Models, Tips

My article today, Why I Don’t Think of Vegetables, Fruit, and Exercise as Preventing Disease, begins Why I Don’t Think of Vegetables, Fruit, and Exercise as Preventing Disease Why consider unhealthy normal? Why not consider healthy the default? I’ve written before that I don’t think of diet, exercise, and behavior as preventing cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. I’m not a medical doctor, so this article isn’t about medical advice.[…] Keep reading →

Lies we tell ourselves about food and integrity

on April 25, 2017 in Leadership

A healthy diet results not from how much healthy food you eat but how little unhealthy food. You can eat all the spinach and kale you want. If you also eat tons of sugar, your diet isn’t healthy. Same with leadership. If you lead effectively 90% of the time but not the other 10%, you probably don’t lead well. Leadership is like how Vince Lombardi described winning: it’s not a[…] Keep reading →

John Mattone’s Expert Interview Series: Joshua Spodek of Spodek Academy About Embracing a “Just Do It” Attitude Toward Leadership Coaching

on April 24, 2017 in Education, Leadership

I am honored that John Mattone interviewed me as part of his Expert Interview Series and posted the interview, “Joshua Spodek of Spodek Academy About Embracing a “Just Do It” Attitude Toward Leadership Coaching.” I’ll tease you with the first few interview questions. For the answers, read the whole interview! As someone who is well-educated in a variety of disciplines, could you tell us what drew you to the study[…] Keep reading →

Sign up for my weekly newsletter