If you don’t know the value of a mentor, you’re missing out on a major way to improve your career and life. You can find elsewhere the benefits they bring, but I’ll mention some I’ve gotten.
- You can learn from their mistakes
- They create connections for you
- They teach you
- They help you through difficult times
- Sometimes they do business with you, like investing in your companies
- You can name-drop knowing them
- and many more
How do you make someone a mentor?
Here’s the simplest trick in the world that will turn someone you just know into a mentor that will keep helping you.
When you use their advice, tell them how you used it and the results you got.
Simple as that. Do that and the person will want to give you advice again. You don’t have to take their advice, but you still get all the benefits I listed above and more. Plus you have experience leading a leader.
Think of a time you gave someone advice and they used it. Didn’t you want to give them more advice? It makes you feel like an expert. And it makes you think the person following your advice really gets it. They’re following your advice, after all, aren’t they?
Try it and tell me how it works.
Learn to make Meaningful Connections
with a simple, effective exercise from my book, Leadership Step by Step.
- Step by step instructions
- Video examples of me and Marshall Goldsmith
- An excerpt from my book