Laura Coe, host of The Art of Authenticity podcast, posted today our second interview, “Joshua Spodek: Becoming The Person Others Follow,” which covers Leadership Step by Step, along with authenticity in general.
Laura is a wonderful interviewer who genuinely cares about her guests. A second interview means more familiarity and comfort, which means covering perspectives and details beyond what a first interview can cover.
Listen to the interview!
Here are Laura’s notes:
In this episode of Art of Authenticity I had a thoughtful conversation with Joshua Spodek, an astrophysicist, entrepreneur, leader, and author of the book Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow.
Today, we have our very first repeat guest. We have Joshua Spodek joining us. He is a professor at NYU and a columnist for Inc, he holds—are you ready—five Ivy League degrees. If you’re having a complex at the moment, join me, because I am as well.
He has a PhD in Astrophysics, and an MBA from Columbia, where he studied under a Nobel Laureate, he has done a lot of different things with his life, and at the moment, he is working on helping people in leadership, an executive coach for Columbia’s business school, and he’s just worked really hard on this idea of how to teach people how to lead.
He believes very strongly that leading happens from experiencing it yourself. He’s written a book, Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow. It’s all about creating positive change, but how to do it, specifically, with actual guidance step-by-step, with exercises that he has used in his teachings and he is sharing with you.
I am confident that Joshua has a ton to offer. Go check out his book, you can buy it right now on Amazon. If you’re looking to find out more about Joshua, you can find him at joshuaspodek.com, and I know that I haven’t had anybody on twice before, but I thought his book and his approach is particularly cool, and I thought you guys might be interested. So enjoy the show!
Listen to the podcast (note the show notes below):
About the podcast:
It’s time to get authentic—without the fluff. With The Art of Authenticity, Laura Coe—mother, author, entrepreneur, and philosophy lover—gets real people to get honest, get specific, and go deep about what it really means to live an authentic life and feel amazing, everyday. From figuring out step-by-step how to get the career and relationships that best reflect who you are, to understanding the intricacies of your own mental and physical health, The Art of Authenticity is a real-world guide on becoming the the best, most true version of yourself and the key to finally living a lighter, freer life.
- Why Joshua used a publisher for “Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow” [3:28]
- Why Joshua chose to write a book about leadership step by step [4:56]
- Leadership Bias: Are you naturally a leader? Can you learn to be a leader? [7:26]
- Coaching people can be beneficial in business and personal relationships [9:41]
- How to motivate someone when you do not have authority over them [12:12]
- Why might employees not want to open up to people in management [14:14]
- How to handle working with a difficult boss [19:22]
- Joshua’s opinion on what makes a good teacher when teaching leadership [23:25]
- Joshua’s experience and advice on marketing [24:45]
- Overcoming our internal critiques of ourselves [28:53]
- Where is the book be available on Amazon and Joshua’s contact information [35:24]
- Joshua Spodek’s book: Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow
- Joshua on Twitter
Learn to make Meaningful Connections
with a simple, effective exercise from my book, Leadership Step by Step.
- Step by step instructions
- Video examples of me and Marshall Goldsmith
- An excerpt from my book