Here are some things people often say that isn’t useful or helpful, though people probably think it is when they say it.
- Be yourself
- Play with feeling
- Think outside the box
- Put yourself out there
- Fail early
- Fail often
- You shouldn’t care so much what other people think
If you find yourself saying any of these phrases, thinking you’re helping someone, you probably aren’t because they don’t tell someone what to do. I suggest that you’re probably saying something to hear yourself talk or to avoid saying nothing.
Similarly pointless, to children:
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- I remember you when you were this big.
Learn to make Meaningful Connections
with a simple, effective exercise from my book, Leadership Step by Step.
- Step by step instructions
- Video examples of me and Marshall Goldsmith
- An excerpt from my book