The pattern is this:
- You know something will help you and you want to do it
- You look forward to doing it in the future
- Just before doing it you feel like you don’t want to do it
- Starting takes a lot of willpower
- Once you start you want to keep doing it
- After you finish you’re glad you did it and find yourself feeling like in step 1
- Going to the gym or general exercise
- Avoiding unhealthy foods
- Working on projects you want to work on
- Most flow activities
- Cold showers or any sidcha
- and more
The challenge is getting past step 3. If you do, you’ll be glad you did. Most of the time you feel reluctant to do something you move on to something else and don’t do it. That’s why gyms are empty after Valentine’s Day.
I post this pattern to help people recognize the opportunities to put in a little extra willpower to get great reward out. It’s discipline.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to do my evening burpees for today, which fits this pattern.
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees