A healthy diet results not from how much healthy food you eat but how little unhealthy food.
You can eat all the spinach and kale you want. If you also eat tons of sugar, your diet isn’t healthy.
Same with leadership. If you lead effectively 90% of the time but not the other 10%, you probably don’t lead well.
Leadership is like how Vince Lombardi described winning: it’s not a sometimes thing. It’s an all the time thing. You don’t succeed by trying some of the time, whether in leadership, winning, or food.
If you don’t eat healthy all the time, you don’t eat healthy.
If you don’t lead effectively all the time, you don’t lead effectively.
Those are my views, anyway.
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees