People keep asking what motivates me, why I act differently than most. I recorded this video describing three threads starting from my childhood leading to my actions today.
I recorded in the treehouse my stepfather built for the grandchildren.
Below are the notes I practiced from. I didn’t try to follow them perfectly.
- How people describe me now
- I try to explain but they never get it so had to go back to beginning. Three or four threads
- Preview three threads: 1, 2, 3, overview: If you participate in system, you contribute to it. And there is a way out.
- 1. Grade school: US Constitution
- Didn’t plan it, learned
- 2. Physics, conservation of energy
- Started nerdy, avoided for social reasons but eventually went for it
- Conservation of energy is fundamental
- People creatively account with finances so try to sneak by accounting for pollution but nature is perfect accountant
- Turning on switch pollutes. No exception
- 3. Experimentation and challenge
- Stumbled on Diet for a Small Planet
- Avoiding meat
- Avoiding hydrogenated oil and corn syrup
- Avoiding processed food
- Avoiding packaged food
- Mental shift from expecting burden to joy, community, connection, and delicious
- Avoiding flying
- Current strategy
- Heard message of joy nowhere. Felt we could use a Mandela of environment. Only way forward seemed talks, which made me want to give up, then podcast. Reaching limit of it. Many ways for it to evolve: federating, celebrities, executives
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees