Ultimate Frisbee in North Korea, part 7
For my last post on Ultimate Frisbee in North Korea for a while, I’ll post some far-reaching ideas, link to articles about it, and give thanks and credit.
Einstein said “you cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.” And George Santayana said “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
Well, if you want peace, I suggest you begin with fun and games, or at least make them a major part of your plans. And if you think fun and games is nothing more than fun and games, learn your ping pong history, because it makes a difference.
And play Ultimate!
I owe my gratitude for perhaps the greatest tournament of my ultimate career to Andray Abrahamian, who did the bulk of organizing the tournament and wrote up his experience here. He also mauled me in the end zone here ;). I also thank Koryo Tours for their part in making it happen. I don’t know what North Korean counterparts to thank in particular, so I’ll just thank them in general.
Besides Andray’s article,
- Koryo posted a great video on the experience, starting off with me throwing twice to a North Korean for what would be goals, but once a guy twice her height went off-man to sky her and the other time it bounced out of her hands. Later I had a fun high-release break-mark backhand, but also got D-ed in the end zone.
- The Associated Press posted a great video too.
- The Associated Press also released an article, “Ultimate Frisbee Comes To North Korea” picked up in many publications, including the Huffington Post, Yahoo! sports, and Seattle Times.
- Global Times published an article “Ultimate Diplomacy in a Pyongyang Park“, written by one of the players.
- Skyd magazine wrote about the tournament preparations, “Ultimate in North Korea, Tournament Announcement“
- I consider my tour-mate Joseph’s and my other tour-mate Andrew’s pictures of the event phenomenal. They captured the emotion of the event, especially in the children, masterfully. They also covered some of the nearby Youth Day events, like a tug of war (other Youth Day activities on this official North Korean video too).
- Any my own pictures will come soon.
The AP video:
Plus my video of my getting a block and game-winning goal:
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees