Laura Coe, host of The Art of Authenticity podcast, posted today our second interview, “Joshua Spodek: Becoming The Person Others Follow,” which covers Leadership Step by Step, along with authenticity in general.
Laura is a wonderful interviewer who genuinely cares about her guests. A second interview means more familiarity and comfort, which means covering perspectives and details beyond what a first interview can cover.
Listen to the interview!
Here are Laura’s notes:
In this episode of Art of Authenticity I had a thoughtful conversation with Joshua Spodek, an astrophysicist, entrepreneur, leader, and author of the book Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow.
Today, we have our very first repeat guest. We have Joshua Spodek joining us. He is a professor at NYU and a columnist for Inc, he holdsâ€”are you readyâ€”five Ivy League degrees. If youâ€™re having a complex at the moment, join me, because I am as well.
He has a PhD in Astrophysics, and an MBA from Columbia, where he studied under a Nobel Laureate, he has done a lot of different things with his life, and at the moment, he is working on helping people in leadership, an executive coach for Columbiaâ€™s business school, and heâ€™s just worked really hard on this idea of how to teach people how to lead.
He believes very strongly that leading happens from experiencing it yourself. Heâ€™s written a book, Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow. Itâ€™s all about creating positive change, but how to do it, specifically, with actual guidance step-by-step, with exercises that he has used in his teachings and he is sharing with you.
I am confident that Joshua has a ton to offer. Go check out his book, you can buy it right now on Amazon. If youâ€™re looking to find out more about Joshua, you can find him at joshuaspodek.com, and I know that I havenâ€™t had anybody on twice before, but I thought his book and his approach is particularly cool, and I thought you guys might be interested. So enjoy the show!
Listen to the podcast (note the show notes below):
About the podcast:
Itâ€™s time to get authenticâ€”without the fluff. With The Art of Authenticity, Laura Coeâ€”mother, author, entrepreneur, and philosophy loverâ€”gets real people to get honest, get specific, and go deep about what it really means to live an authentic life and feel amazing, everyday. From figuring out step-by-step how to get the career and relationships that best reflect who you are, to understanding the intricacies of your own mental and physical health, The Art of Authenticity is a real-world guide on becoming the the best, most true version of yourself and the key to finally living a lighter, freer life.
- Why Joshua used a publisher for â€œLeadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Followâ€ [3:28]
- Why Joshua chose to write a book about leadership step by step [4:56]
- Leadership Bias: Are you naturally a leader? Can you learn to be a leader? [7:26]
- Coaching people can be beneficial in business and personal relationships [9:41]
- How to motivate someone when you do not have authority over them [12:12]
- Why might employees not want to open up to people in management [14:14]
- How to handle working with a difficult boss [19:22]
- Joshuaâ€™s opinion on what makes a good teacher when teaching leadership [23:25]
- Joshuaâ€™s experience and advice on marketing [24:45]
- Overcoming our internal critiques of ourselves [28:53]
- Where is the book be available on Amazon and Joshuaâ€™s contact information [35:24]
- Joshua Spodekâ€™s book:Â Leadership Step by Step: Become the Person Others Follow
- Joshua on Twitter
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees