Having written daily for a while I’ve found out great ways to generate lots of hits and to generate online discussion. I don’t do them on this page, despite how well they work.
The tactics attract people to any media — press, tv, etc.
Start with a title with a provocative question the answer is usually no to.
- Is Obama secretly working with the GOP?
- Can you make millions without working?
- What is the government not telling you about healthcare?
Express an opinion as indisputable fact on something there is no right answer to or no one knows. Judge.
- What’s hot this season
- Why Portland is the best city to live in
- The truth behind global warming
- Suggest people can only be right or wrong on the issue.
- Suggest the consequences for being wrong are severe.
- Attach morality to the issue, so being wrong isn’t just a difference of opinion — it hurts people and provokes revulsion.
- Suggest being wrong makes you a worse person.
Generate uncomfortable emotions
Why I don’t do it
Seeing how effectively the above tactics work showed me a lot about how the media works — not that it’s any secret. Since media makes money from attention, their revenue comes from advertising, and they’re for-profit companies, they are motivated to use the above tactics. I read and watch news less and less all the time, yet I find myself no less informed about what I consider important. I don’t know about who’s ahead today in a presidential race and I don’t get into debates on low-level issues. But I talk to people and participate in my local communities more.
My goal on this page is to help people learn things I learned. People who sense such changes will help them, will read more. If you want more personal reasons, I want more people in my life who aren’t judgmental, who choose to solve problems over complaining about them, who lead effectively, who share what they love, and so on in my life. I think most people want more of that in their lives. I also find that sharing these things helps me develop them in my life.
The above tactics don’t help me in any of these goals.
I’m sure I do them sometimes, but generally I try to do the opposite. I try to generate
and the like. These emotions and motivations don’t get people posting combative posts. I hope they help readers improve their lives.