A reader who decided to take on a month of cold showers updated me half way through. Note how the benefits endure for a long time and affect many parts of her life while the discomfort lasts only a few minutes. That’s a great trade if you ask me.
Here’s what she wrote:
So far, so good. I’m not sure I had any specific expectations regarding the experience to start. I just wanted to challenge myself because I feel “stuck” at times. These are the things I’ve noticed or thought so far.
- I don’t get myself worked up prior to jumping in. Translation—worrying about something isn’t going to change the outcome. Face challenges head on.
- I have thought about how awesome that warm birthday shower [her month ends on her birthday] is going to be. Translation—focus on the reward or goal.
- One morning I was thinking about other things and turned the water to warm. I caught it immediately and put it back to cold. Translation—if you aren’t focused, or present, it is easy to forget your goal or what you are working toward.
- I had no idea you could get an “ice cream” headache at the base of your skull.
- When in doubt, keep breathing.
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees