A reader who decided to take on a month of cold showers updated me half way through. Note how the benefits endure for a long time and affect many parts of her life while the discomfort lasts only a few minutes. That’s a great trade if you ask me.
Here’s what she wrote:
So far, so good.Â Iâ€™m not sure I had any specific expectations regarding the experience to start.Â I just wanted to challenge myself because I feel â€œstuckâ€ at times.Â These are the things Iâ€™ve noticed or thought so far.
- I donâ€™t get myself worked up prior to jumping in.Â Translation—worrying about something isnâ€™t going to change the outcome.Â Face challenges head on.
- I have thought about how awesome that warm birthday shower [her month ends on her birthday] is going to be.Â Translation—focus on the reward or goal.
- One morning I was thinking about other things and turned the water to warm.Â I caught it immediately and put it back to cold.Â Translation—if you arenâ€™t focused, or present, it is easy to forget your goal or what you are working toward.
- I had no idea you could get an â€œice creamâ€ headache at the base of your skull.
- When in doubt, keep breathing.
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees