One of the few podcasts I listen to every episodes of is Growthbusters. Hosts Dave and Erika invited me for a second appearance, which went live today, The Value and Joy of Individual Action.
I list Dave as one of my environmental role models.
My first Growthbusters appearance
Here is my first appearance on Growthbusters: Changing the World Starts at Home.
The Growthbusters movie
I recently posted about the Growthbusters movie, having rewatched it and found it more informative and prescient than I remember: Our greatest taboo is the greatest issue of our time.
The show notes:
Is there any use in choosing to live more sustainably if youâ€™re surrounded by an unsustainable system? There are those who argue there is little value in making efforts to trim your own ecological footprint. They lament, â€œItâ€™s difficult to skinny up your life when you live within a system that needs structural change,â€ built to drive itself off a cliff. The GrowthBusters disagree. But who can you turn to for good advice on this? An astrophysicist, of course!
Weâ€™re joined in this episode by NYU professor Joshua Spodek. Yes, he has a degree in astrophysics, but these days heâ€™s busy teaching and coaching leadership and entrepreneurship, doing TEDx talks, authoring best-selling books, blogging daily, and hosting his own podcast. It takes Joshua a year to accumulate a load of trash, and he hasnâ€™t hopped on a plane in four years. So when it comes to both the joy, and the value, of individual planet-saving action, Josh is our guy.
LINKS: (We didnâ€™t get around to discussing all these, but we want to share them with you, anyway.)
- Joshua Spodek website
- Leadership and the Environment (Joshua Spodekâ€™s podcast)
- Dave Gardner episodes of Leadership and the Environment
- What everyone Gets Wrong About the Environment â€“ TEDx Talk by Joshua Spodek
- Find Your Delicious: Leadership and the Environment â€“ TEDx Talk by Joshua Spodek
- Joshua Spodek on flying:
- What a Year Without Flying Taught Me About Responsibility, Empathy, and Community â€“ in Inc. Magazine
- Covid-19: Addiction to Flying and Other Polluting Behavior Was a Lack of Motivation and Imagination
- Year 4, Day 1 of Not Flying
- The Longer I Go Without Flying, the More People Talking About Flying Sounds Like Theyâ€™re Talking About Heroin
- The Longer I Go Without Flying, the More People Talking About Flying Sounds Like Theyâ€™re Talking About Heroin, Part 2
- Joshuaâ€™s 20-Minute Vegetable Stew
- A Christmas Thought on Climate and Population â€“ by Joshua Spodek
Waiting for the World to End â€“ by The Mavericks
Make a donationÂ to support this non-profit project.
See the film â€“ GrowthBusters: Hooked on Growth
Explore the issues at www.growthbusters.org
View the GrowthBusters channel on YouTube
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees