[EDIT: I covered this series in more depth in Leadership Step by Step, so I recommend the book, but the core is here. I use this technique as a part of my life, basically daily.]
Here is The Method on how to use The Model—my model for the human emotional system designed for use in leadership, self-awareness, and general purpose professional and personal development—in series form.
I find the Model and Method the most effective and valuable foundation for understanding yourself and others and improving your life. The Model tells you how we work. The Method shows you how to use The Model to lead yourself and others and create the lifestyle you want.
I recommend reading The Model Series first, then reading this series for how to use it.
The Method begins with you knowing your emotional system—the foundation of self-awareness and emotional intelligence. You only have to learn it once in your life. From then on you may refine it or refresh your memory, but you won’t have to re-learn that you have a consistent, reliable, and predictable emotional system.
So I call the step of knowing your emotional system step 0. You only do it once in your life, then when you do the Method, you start at step 1 for each application.
The Method, step by step
- The Method, step 0: know your emotional system
- The Method, step 1: understand your current emotional cycles
- The Method: steps 0 and 1, awareness
- The Method, step 2: conceive of new emotions
- The Method, step 3: conceive of new environments, beliefs, and behaviors
- The Method, step 4: Implement the environments, beliefs, and behaviors
- The Method: implementation overview
- The Method: implementation stage 1: transition
- The Method: implementation stage 1: a caveat
- The Method: implementation stage 2: support
- The Method: transformations, stage 3: regular life
- The Method: illustration of implementation stages
- The Method: example 1: a home run after three strikes
- The Method: example 2: overwhelming joy on a bleak morning
- The Method: example 3: two simple but effective examples
- The Method from another perspective
- The Method: long-term growth from many transformations
- The Method: improving your life as much as you want is all based on one cycle
Read my weekly newsletter
On initiative, leadership, the environment, and burpees